It’s that time in the spring when Amy Ellis from Amy’s Creative Side hosts the Blogger’s Quilt Festival. This entry is in the Modern Quilt category. This quilt was made as part of the Riley Blake Challenge sponsored by The Modern Quilt Guild.
Here is my finished quilt!
If you want to know more about my design process – read on:
I usually start with graph paper and try to put my ideas into some kind of a design concept and that is how this one started. I knew I wanted some circular elements and triangles with a touch of zig zag. Once I got the general idea down on paper, I started building the elements. Here is the rough sketch that I began with.
The first step was the triangle section on the bottom left. Once I got started with Julie Herman’s Jaybird Quilts pattern Chopsticks, I decided it didn’t need the half circle on that side.
Next I cut long strips of several fabrics to make a zig zag that would go over the triangle section.
I knew I wanted to fill the empty spaces with negative space and the circular elements so the next step was designing those half circle sections. I only took photos of two in progress but there was a third as well. I used a wedge ruler for these sections and scoured photos of quilts on blogs and pinterest to get some ideas of different designs for these sections.
With the bottom right section attached to the triangle section, I had a large “V” shaped section to fill. I knew this would be the most challenging part. I had to cut and sew the last piece of negative space into the “V” of the zig zag with two more circular elements as part of that section.
Laying it out on my cutting table only emphasized the challenge so I ended up working on the floor to make sure it would lie flat. Miraculously it worked and my quilt top was nearly complete.
My navy, aqua and grey color scheme seemed a little flat at this point. I needed a pop of color! Bright color! So enter Prairie points in orange and lime! There is a fabulous tutorial by Penny at SewTakeAHike on how to make continuous prairie points that worked perfectly for this project. You can find it here.
Now about the quilting….. I am a bit of a beginner on free motion quilting. I do alot of quilting with my walking foot but the free motion quilting is still a bit of a challenge. I poured over Natalia Bonner’s book “Beginners Guide to Free Motion Quilting” and Angelea Walter’s two books, “Free Motion Quilting” and “In The Studio with Angela Walters” and tried to come up with quilting elements that would enhance my quilt design. Plus, I needed designs that I could handle on my home machine.
I started with the large half cirle on the right. That part was easy.
Next I started on the triangle section. I decided to do an orange peel type pattern in the section of the large print triangles and fill in the center section with pebbles. You can see that detail here along with the mini dresden plates that I quilted in the center of the grey triangles although I did those next to last. I used an Aurifil varigated thread for all of the aqua and navy sections which might not have been the best choice as some of it gets lost in the fabric.
Straight lines with my walking foot in the zig zag portion.
I traced a couple of large dresden plates in the negative space to add visual interest and then spent several hours quilting spirals in the negative space around them on the bottom right of the quilt. HOURS!
I also quilted a dresden plate with echo quilting in the top left section of the quilt.
I wanted to do a sunburst quilting pattern from the top right half circle but it gets a bit lost in the pebbles that I used as filler for that section. It’s amazing how LONG it takes to quilt pebbles!
Overall, I was very pleased with how my quilting enhances the design. Practice makes perfect so I am definitely getting better. I can see the flaws but the overall quilt is exactly what I had in my head. I used the leftover Riley Blake prints along with a print called Moondance by Jenean Morrison for Free Spirit on the back.
Here’s a few more shots of the quilt. My photography isn’t the best but I’m working at that too!
So that’s the tale of my Riley Blake Challenge Quilt – Moons on Angle Mountain! I hope you enjoyed the process and the finished product. I am very pleased with this result!
Thanks for checking in. I hope you have had a chance to visit ALL of the Blogger’s Quilt Festival entires. Thanks to Amy for her hosting.